blogs: the internet equivalent to a make your own sundae party

I love blogs.

Not necessarily my own for a few good reasons:

1. I am about as good at being witty as I am at singing.

2. I am so horrible at singing that I don’t even sing to myself in the car when a George Michael ballad is blasting in my face.

3. My favorite sentence is “bad grammar’s funner,” and I am an English teacher…

4. My second favorite sentence (penned by a girlfriend of mine) is “I make spelling mistakes and love every minuet of it.”

I could go on, but won’t since I also have a compulsive tendency to ramble. 

None of these characterisitcs are all that conducive to blogging…But I do LOVE blogs, I love the openess of them, the collaborative discussions they provoke…I love reading horrible blogs that make me cringe at the ignorance spewing forth into the world just as much as I love reading challenging, intelligent blogs that make me feel like a complete ignoramus….

In general, the genre of blog writing is driven by people struggling with (or mastering) the ability to find an online voice…to hold and capture reader’s attention (has anyone made it this far?)…and to share, respond, read, scoff at, etc…other people’s posts and responses.

Blog reading differs from other types of reading in that it is like having a giant interactive book that you, your cohorts (and possibly a million other people) are reading.  It is private in a sense, because if you choose to remain silent in the conversation, you can; yet the opportunity to engage in the conversation is always there…waiting.

Blogging facilitates learning.  Everything collaborative facilitates learning.  Blogging helps to create connections that might otherwise be impossible.  They help provide new channels of information and knowledge for adults and students. They can teach students about voice and audience awareness.  They promote the use of technology, help bloggers develop writing habits and hone reading habits, among other things. 

A good blog has to have something to say, but at the same time must provoke and engage…and most importantly, entertain…because like television, there is no pressure to continue engagement…no one staring you in the face guaging how well you are listening to their argument…there is always ample opportunity to change the channel, close the laptop, check the weather instead…

these are some of my favorite education blogs  from those I checked out, mainly because I kept on reading and didn’t once wonder if it might rain later…

http://learningischange.com/2007/06/29/the-ripe-environment/

http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=133

2 thoughts on “blogs: the internet equivalent to a make your own sundae party

1. You ARE witty and ever so creative, Christine! Even the subtitle of your blog illustrates that. But I am with you. As an author, I wonder about my online voice and keeping a reader’s attention (disclaimer: my only follower appears to be our fair Bonnie).